Retirement 2.0blog

Tax break for repaying Social Security benefits

You can claim an itemized deduction or possibly a tax credit

Dec 6, 2013 @ 11:59 am

By Mary Beth Franklin

As more Americans begin to realize the value of delaying their Social Security benefits, some are rethinking their decision to claim reduced benefits early.

You have 12 months from the date of your initial claim to change your mind. If you do, you can file Social Security Form 521 to withdraw your benefits claim. But you must repay all the benefits you have received, plus those of anyone else who has received benefits on your earnings record, such as a spouse or dependent child.

Withdrawing your claim for Social Security benefits wipes the slate clean. When you apply for benefits later, it will be treated as a first-time claim and your retirement benefits will be based on your age at that time. The older you are, the bigger your benefit, up to 70 when delayed retirement credits end.

Thomas McManus, senior vice president at Atlantic Asset Management, asked me for help with his plan to repay his Social Security benefits.

“I started collecting Social Security benefits in March 2013,” Mr. McManus wrote in an e-mail. “I plan on repaying the payments received either in January or February of 2014 so that I can collect a larger benefit two or three years down the road.”

Mr. McManus, who is 66 and still working, added: “I am assuming the money I got from Social Security this year has to be added to ordinary income for tax purposes.”

That's correct. Depending on his income and filing status, a portion of those Social Security benefits may be taxable.

To determine if your benefits are taxable, add half of your Social Security benefits to all of your other taxable income plus any tax-exempt interest to determine your “provisional income.” If you are single and the sum of your provisional income is $25,000 or more, some of your Social Security benefits will be taxable. If married, the threshold for taxing Social Security benefits of joint filers is $32,000.

These thresholds are not indexed to inflation, so each year, more of your benefits may be taxed, as Social Security benefits usually increase each year because of cost-of-living adjustments.

Mr. McManus asked if he is eligible for a tax break once he repays his Social Security benefits to account for the fact that he has already been taxed on some of that income.

Yes, he is.

Internal Revenue Service Publication 915 (Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Benefits) explains how to claim a tax break for the year you repay your Social Security benefits.

On Page 15, the IRS publication notes that if the amount shown on your Form SSA-1099 is a negative number (meaning you repaid benefits you had previously received), you can claim an itemized deduction for the part of this negative figure that represents the benefit you included in your gross income in earlier years.

The publication also notes that if the deduction is $3,000 or less, it is subject to the 2% -of-adjusted-gross-income limit that applies to certain miscellaneous itemized deductions. Claim it on Schedule A of your tax return.

But if the deduction is more than $3,000, you have another option. It involves more-complicated calculations, but you can choose between a tax deduction or a tax credit, if that would result in bigger savings.

Mary Beth Franklin is a contributing editor for InvestmentNews.


What do you think?

View comments

Recommended for you

Sponsored financial news

Featured video


Children of AI, and when they are coming to financial advice

Technology reporter Ryan Neal talks about the tremendous progress in artificial intelligence in other industries, and how its applications are slowly making headway in the advice sector.

Latest news & opinion

Brokers accept proposed SEC rule on who can call themselves an adviser

Some say the rule will clear up investor confusion, but others say the SEC didn't go far enough.

SEC advice rule: Here's what you need to know

We sifted through the nearly 1,000-page proposal and picked out some of the most important points.

Cadaret Grant acquired by private-equity-backed Atria

75-year-old owner Arthur Grant positions the IBD for the 'next 33 years.'

SEC advice rule seeks to tighten reins on brokers

The proposed rule puts new restrictions on brokers, but it is still unclear how strongly the SEC is clamping down.

SEC advice rule hearing updates

Commission says a lot of work ahead, public will have 90 days to comment.

Hi! Glad you're here and we hope you like all the great work we do here at InvestmentNews. But what we do is expensive and is funded in part by our sponsors. So won't you show our sponsors a little love by whitelisting It'll help us continue to serve you.

Yes, show me how to whitelist

Ad blocker detected. Please whitelist us or give premium a try.