Press releases may seem boring and old-fashioned — and really should have no place being discussed in a technology blog. But press releases play an important role in today's digital marketing strategy. In years past, press releases could be sent to local media contacts and perhaps your story would be picked up in a newspaper, magazine or TV news program. Today, press releases are much more multifunctional; they can be great content for your website and social media accounts and can help people find you on the web.
If you are using press releases as part of your marketing strategy, you may be missing out on their full impact if you aren't adding in multimedia. Adding a video component to a press release not only makes your news more interesting, it can also increase the reach of your news.
(See also: Video isn't just for profiles anymore)
WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER USING A VIDEO NEWS RELEASE
A video news release allows you to tell your story in a more personal, compelling and engaging way (click here to see an example). By attaching a video to your press release, you are providing media-rich content to news organizations and publications that they can use as content on their own websites or possibly even a TV news program.
Even if your video news release is never picked up by the media, it can still amplify your message through your own contacts when you post it on your website, share it on social media accounts, send it via an e-mail blast and even attach it to your e-mail signature. And because video is much easier content to consume than text on mobile devices, video will help you get your news to the people who prefer to consume content on their phones or tablets.
TIPS FOR CREATING YOUR OWN VIDEO NEWS RELEASE
As you create your own video news release, these tips can help your video get the most traction:
• Create a video that complements your press release to tell a well-rounded story.
• Create professionally produced, high-quality video that news organizations can use — professional publications generally won't consider publishing amateur footage.
• Plan at least four weeks in advance for your video news releases since it can take several weeks to produce.
• Use video news releases for announcements such as new services, new hires, mergers or acquisitions, new offices, company name changes, charitable donations or involvement and special events.
• Write a script in advance and in conjunction with writing the press release so that the messaging between the two pieces is aligned.
• Post your press release and video news release to a news wire service such as PR Newswire or BusinessWire.
• Promote your video by posting it on your website, sending it to your e-mail contacts, sharing it on your social media profiles and adding it to your e-mail signature
The next time you have some news to share, inject some life into your press release by adding a video news component. The multimedia content will help you stand out among the noise and amplify your message to your audience.
Kristen Luke is president and chief executive of Wealth Management Marketing Inc. and co-founder of The Mercato, an online marketplace featuring do-it-yourself tools, templates and training for financial advisers. Follow her on Twitter: @KristenLuke.