11 events that closed the NYSE
August 8, 1885 *
What: Funeral of Ulysses S. Grant.
Notes: The procession in New York City for the former president and civil war hero stretched seven miles long. Grant's pallbearers were Generals William Tecumseh Sherman and Philip Sheridan, who had fought for the Union, and Simon Bolivar Buckner and Joseph Johnston, generals for the Confederacy By the way, the 'S' in Ulysses S. Grant was a mistake and did not stand for anything.
(* Unplanned or non-holiday related closures; Source: New York Stock Exchange)
- SEC charges San Diego-based investment adviser with fraud
- Pressure mounts on advisers to lower fees
- Finra sends expungement rule to SEC; plaintiff's lawyer says won't have an impact
- To Roth (IRA) or not to Roth, that is the question
- Ketchum calls controversial automatic data collection key to catching rogue brokers