12 events that shook the B-D biz in 2012
Hours after legislation is introduced that would maintain the SEC's purview over investment advisers, House Financial Services Committee Chairman Spencer Bachus, R-Ala., puts on hold his own plan to appoint one or more self-regulatory organizations to provide oversight. A month later, however, Mr. Bachus takes his case for an SRO to the investing public in a Wall Street Journal Op-Ed.
- Does Vanguard pose a threat to advisers?
- Cybersecurity gets the SEC's attention as agency plans to query advisers on safeguards
- Under Finra proposal, brokerages will be forced to conduct background checks on new brokers
- Average retiree health costs could overtake Social Security benefits
- After big TIAA-CREF-Nuveen deal, boomlet predicted in fund manager mergers