10 reasons to consider decanting an irrevocable trust
10. Qualifying the trust to own stock in an S corporation.
Perhaps the individual who wrote up the trust didn’t anticipate that one day the trust must be able to hold stock in an S corporation. The trust can be decanted, with the new trust permitting S corporation stock ownership, if the old trust agreement doesn’t empower the trust protector or independent trustee to add such a provision, according to Mr. Oshins.
- 8 Heartbleed responses from financial firms
- Four top executives of private-placement syndicator DBSI head to jail for fraud
- Average retiree health costs could overtake Social Security benefits
- Cybersecurity gets the SEC's attention as agency plans to query advisers on safeguards
- Brokerage industry sounds off about Finra broker compensation proposal