8 predictions you can't miss
A case of the blahs
Mark Schoeff Jr., Washington: U.S. voters will remain ambivalent about governance: Republicans will hold the House but lose some seats in the 2014 midterm election while Democrats hold the Senate. President Barack Obama's popularity steadily improves. Hillary Clinton makes up her mind — not to seek the presidency in 2016.
...and...Hordes of tourists will continue to stand on the wrong side of subway escalators in Washington (right to stand, left to pass), posing a bigger threat to civility than anything happening on Capitol Hill.
- Does Vanguard pose a threat to advisers?
- Cybersecurity gets the SEC's attention as agency plans to query advisers on safeguards
- Under Finra proposal, brokerages will be forced to conduct background checks on new brokers
- Average retiree health costs could overtake Social Security benefits
- After big TIAA-CREF-Nuveen deal, boomlet predicted in fund manager mergers