10 tips for a worry-free IRA rollover
3. Go direct
Avoid an indirect rollover. In a direct rollover, a former employer sends assets straight into another company plan or into an IRA. In an indirect rollover, the plan participant takes a lump-sum distribution and then is responsible for making the transfer. During the holding period, the participant can incur several tax complications.
- 8 Heartbleed responses from financial firms
- Four top executives of private-placement syndicator DBSI head to jail for fraud
- Average retiree health costs could overtake Social Security benefits
- Cybersecurity gets the SEC's attention as agency plans to query advisers on safeguards
- Brokerage industry sounds off about Finra broker compensation proposal