Clearing firm Penson calls naked-short video a ‘hoax'

Oct 7, 2009 @ 3:41 pm

By Dan Jamieson

Officials for Penson Financial Services Inc. said that a video circulating on the Internet of one of its traders engaging in an apparent naked short sale is a fraud that unfairly accuses the firm of violating Securities and Exchange Commission regulations.

In a letter sent yesterday to both the SEC and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority Inc., Tim Davis, associate general counsel at Penson, called the video an “apparent hoax” that made “an unsupported accusation of a violation of Regulation SHO by Penson.” Reg SHO is the SEC's short-sale rule that requires a short-seller to first locate a stock before shorting.

At issue is a YouTube video, entitled “Penson Approves Billion Share Naked Short,” that purports to show an unidentified trader getting a “locate” — a potential lender — for a large number of shares of an unnamed stock through Penson's trading system.

Rolling Stone journalist Matt Taibbi, who runs the blog True/Slant, has used the video to criticize the practice of naked shorting, in which shares sold short are never delivered.

In a post Monday on his site, Mr. Taibbi said the amount shown was in the “tens of billions of shares” but that the float for the stock was just 5.5 billion shares.

Andy Yemma, a spokesman for Penson, said one version of the video posted by Mr. Taibbi shows that Citigroup Inc. stock is the issue being “located”.

Mr. Davis told regulators that Penson's internal records show no locates of the stock, and that the trading system shown is not Penson's.

Daniel Son, president of Penson's parent, Penson Worldwide Inc., said several “doctored” versions of the video have appeared on YouTube.

In his post, Mr. Taibbi said the video had been given to him last week. He did not name a source.

"My source is reputable and I stand by my story," Mr. Taibbi said in an emailed response.

In his letter to regulators, Mr. Davis said Penson was uncertain if the video was a hoax “or something more deliberate.”

“We don't know who did it,” Mr. Son said.

Penson clears for 546 correspondent firms in the United States, the United Kingdom and Canada.

The video and Penson's response were reported earlier by the Business Insider/Clusterstock website.

0
Comments

What do you think?

View comments

Recommended for you

Featured video

INTV

Female leaders highlighted as future of financial advice

InvestmentNews recognized 20 Women to Watch for their efforts to advance the financial advice industry.

Latest news & opinion

Merger mania: Why consolidation in the RIA space is about to explode

The pace is expected to pick up as big firms seek to get even bigger and older advisers look to cash out.

Voya Financial Advisors exposes more sensitive adviser information on its website

List of top advisers at the firm comes after Social Security numbers were put at risk.

Securities America hit with lawsuit seeking $18 million in damages

Firm is dealing with the fallout from a rogue broker it fired a year ago.

Brian Block continues his legal fight to stay out of prison

A judge denied Mr. Block's motion for a new trial, but he wants another day in court.

10 social media stars you're not following yet, but should be

Some of the great people using social media to discuss wealth management and financial advice who might not be on your radar.

X

Hi! Glad you're here and we hope you like all the great work we do here at InvestmentNews. But what we do is expensive and is funded in part by our sponsors. So won't you show our sponsors a little love by whitelisting investmentnews.com? It'll help us continue to serve you.

Yes, show me how to whitelist investmentnews.com

Ad blocker detected. Please whitelist us or give premium a try.

X

Subscribe and Save 60%

Premium Access
Print + Digital

Learn more
Subscribe to Print