Liz Ann Sonders and Shundrawn Thomas give midyear outlooks Episode 50
To celebrate 50 episodes, Liz Ann Sonders from Schwab and Shundrawn Thomas from Northern Trust join Jeff to discuss their outlooks for the second half of the year. Equity outlooks, thoughts on inflation, crypto, sustainable investing and diversity in the industry are all addressed.
- Equities outlook for the rest of the year.
- Inflation — weighing transitory vs. longer lasting, the right historical comparison, and the Fed’s response.
- Effects of fiscal plans — stimulus vs. taxes — and of the current monetary climate.
- Portfolio adjustments to deal with inflation.
- Fixed-income outlook.
- Crypto outlook.
- Thoughts on the advent of new traders in the market.
- The financial services sector’s progress on diversity.
- Equities outlook.
- Where does fixed income fit in?
- Inflation — transitory inflation vs. longer lasting vs. “stuckflation.”
- Effects of fiscal plans — how taxes may affect the markets
- Sustainable investing at Northern Trust.
- Balancing a focus on diversity with leading the firm, the industry’s progress and what the outlook is.
Liz Ann Sonders: As senior vice president and chief investment strategist at Charles Schwab, Liz Ann has a range of investment strategy responsibilities, from market and economic analysis to investor education, all focused on the individual investor.
A keynote speaker at numerous industry conferences, Liz Ann is regularly quoted in financial publications including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Barron’s, and the Financial Times, and she appears as a regular guest on CNBC, Bloomberg, CNN, Yahoo! Finance and Fox Business News programs. Liz Ann has been named Best Market Strategist by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance and one of SmartMoney magazine’s Power 30. Barron’s has named her to its 100 Most Influential Women in Finance list and Investment Advisor has included her on the IA 25, its list of the 25 most important people in and around the financial advisory profession.
Shundrawn Thomas serves as president of Northern Trust Asset Management, where his responsibilities include developing long-term strategy, executing operating plans, cultivating client relationships, managing vendor relationships and developing talented professionals. He also serves as a member of the management group for Northern Trust Corp.
Previously, Shundrawn served as executive vice president, head of funds and managed accounts. In this capacity he oversaw the development, management and distribution of Northern Funds, Northern Institutional Funds and FlexShares Exchange Traded Funds, as well as the managed accounts practice, which provides investment advisory solutions to clients. Shundrawn also served as president and chief executive of Northern Trust Securities Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Northern Trust Corp. Prior to joining the asset management executive team, Shundrawn served as head of corporate strategy for Northern Trust Corp. As a direct report to the chief executive officer, he supported executive management with key strategic planning initiatives. Prior to joining Northern Trust, Shundrawn served as a vice president for Goldman Sachs and held positions in sales, trading and research with Morgan Stanley.
Subscribe for original insights, commentary and analysis of the issues facing the financial advice community, from the InvestmentNews team.