After long wait, six insurers hit the TARP jackpot

Six major insurance companies yesterday received preliminary approval from the Department of the Treasury to participate in the Troubled Asset Relief Program, according to published reports.
MAY 15, 2009
Six major insurance companies yesterday received preliminary approval from the Department of the Treasury to participate in the Troubled Asset Relief Program, according to published reports. The insurers are Allstate Corp. of Northbrook, Ill.; Ameriprise Financial Inc. of Minneapolis; The Hartford (Conn.) Financial Services Group Inc.; Lincoln National Corp. of Radnor, Pa.; Principal Financial Group Inc. in Des Moines, Iowa; and Prudential Financial Inc. of Newark, N.J. The Hartford yesterday confirmed that it has been pre-approved for $3.4 billion in aid. “Applying for participation in the [TARP Capital Purchase Program] was a prudent step for The Hartford, particularly given the continued economic uncertainty. These funds would further fortify our capital resources and provide us with additional financial flexibility during one of the most volatile market climates in our nation’s history,” Hartford’s chief executive, Ramani Ayer, said in a statement. In addition, the Treasury would receive non-voting senior preferred shares in The Hartford and warrants to purchase common stock equal to 15% of the government's investment into the insurer, said company spokeswoman Debora Raymond. Lincoln National has also been cleared to receive $2.5 billion in aid, according to spokeswoman, who declined to comment further. Most likely, as has been demonstrated with the banks that already received federal aid, the government would likely have a say in executive compensation and matters related to the boards of directors at the carriers that take the help. Bearing that in mind, at least one analyst doesn’t think that all the insurers on the list will accept the government’s aid. “With Principal Financial, unless the negotiations would indicate a minimum of government interference, I don’t think they’ll take any money,” said Steven Schwartz, a Chicago-based analyst with Raymond James & Associates Inc. of St. Petersburg, Fla. Principal announced a $1.1 billion common stock offering to the public on Monday. While Lincoln National hasn’t put together an equity offering yet, a rising market could allow it to do so, in lieu of accepting the aid, Mr. Schwartz said. However, if Lincoln took all the $2.5 billion extended to it, the aid “would cover any investment hole that they could conceivably have,” he said. Mr. Schwartz said that he doesn’t expect Lincoln’s investment losses to be larger than $1.5 billion to $1.6 billion. The Treasury Department’s approval ends six months of suspense for the carriers, who had applied for federal aid through the Capital Purchase Program and, in order to be eligible, became either bank holding companies or savings and loans regulated through the Federal Reserve or the Office of Thrift Supervision. Since then, a number of the aid applicants have suffered through dismal quarterly earnings and a barrage of ratings downgrades. Some — such as TARP applicants Genworth Financial Inc. of Richmond, Va., and The Phoenix Cos. of Hartford, Conn. — have suspended some distribution channels and were eventually passed over for TARP participation for a variety of reasons. Prudential Financial spokeswoman Gabrielle Shanin confirmed that the firm has received preliminary approval from the Treasury to participate in the CPP program. "Prudential, which applied to participate in the CPP last October, is currently evaluating all options available to the company," she said. Principal Financial Group’s president and CEO Larry Zimpleman said in a statement: Our decision about whether to participate in CPP and, if so, at what level, will be based on a review following receipt of all the terms and conditions, both economic and non-economic. Allstate, Ameriprise and the Treasury Department didn’t return calls seeking comment.

Latest News

RIA dealmaking accelerates as three firms hit AUM milestones
RIA dealmaking accelerates as three firms hit AUM milestones

Wealth Consulting Group, Coastline and Maridea report fresh capital, acquisitions and asset growth as advisor M&A keeps climbing

VastAdvisor closes $1 million SAFE round from advisor-side backers
VastAdvisor closes $1 million SAFE round from advisor-side backers

Carson Group's Dani Fava, Jason Pereira of Woodgate Financial, and Sally George of Convergency Partners led the raise as the growth-tech startup builds out its AI platform and leadership bench.

Wells Fargo adds three advisor practices as recruiting rebound continues
Wells Fargo adds three advisor practices as recruiting rebound continues

New teams from William Blair, Ameriprise and UBS bring more than $560 million in combined client assets to the firm's employee and independent channels.

UBS will pay advisors 'handsomely' for banking starting next year
UBS will pay advisors 'handsomely' for banking starting next year

Regulators this year approved UBS Bank USA’s conversion to a nationally chartered bank.

SEC accuses Tricolor executives of hiding $800 million collateral hole
SEC accuses Tricolor executives of hiding $800 million collateral hole

How a subprime lender’s car-loan bonds allegedly unraveled before bankruptcy.

SPONSORED Direct indexing webinar targets tax-loss harvesting amid market swings

Northern Trust’s Ken Lassner shows advisors how to convert volatility into after-tax portfolio gains

SPONSORED Who builds the income when the pension disappears?

Dan Biagini of American Equity says the steady decline of pensions, longer lifespans and a reset in interest rates are rewriting how advisors build retirement income