Bannon proposal to raise top tax rate dismissed by White House official

Income-tax increase on wealthy to pay for middle-class cuts won't encourage growth, says Marc Short, Trump's director of legislative affairs.
JUL 31, 2017

A top income-tax rate of 44 percent for Americans earning more than $5 million per year isn't under consideration, a White House official said Monday, knocking down a proposal said to be backed by top Trump adviser Steve Bannon. "I don't think that that's on the table right now, to be honest with you," White House director of legislative affairs Marc Short said on Fox News. "We don't believe that raising taxes is the way to encourage growth." Bannon backs that increased rate, a person familiar with the White House chief strategist's thinking said last week, as a way to pay for middle-class tax cuts. While one conservative lawmaker responded by saying some congressional Republicans might support a rate increase as part of a broader tax overhaul, Short is the third key player to dismiss the idea. (More: Trump's tax plan: 7 facts every adviser needs to know) Representative Kevin Brady of Texas, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, said Sunday that he did not "intend" to introduce the 44 percent rate to his panel's work. "We're going for growth, which means lower rates at every level," he said on Fox News Channel's "Sunday Morning Futures." House Speaker Paul Ryan on Sunday declined to comment directly on the Bannon report but said he supports the outline released by the Trump administration in April, which caps the top rate at 35 percent. "We're not in the business of raising tax rates," Ryan said on "Sunday Morning Futures." The White House is also getting support for its tax-cut plan from the political network of billionaire brothers Charles Koch and David Koch, who didn't support President Donald Trump during his 2016 campaign. Short and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin are set to appear on a tax panel hosted by two Koch-funded groups Monday in Washington.

Latest News

Edward Jones facing more race bias claims in new lawsuit
Edward Jones facing more race bias claims in new lawsuit

A private partnership, Edward Jones is a giant in the retail brokerage industry with more than 20,000 financial advisors.

Advisor moves: LPL recruitment momentum continues with $815M Northwestern Mutual team
Advisor moves: LPL recruitment momentum continues with $815M Northwestern Mutual team

Meanwhile, Raymond James and Tritonpoint Partners separately welcomed father-son teams, including a breakaway from UBS in Missouri.

SEC chief Atkins signals caution on prediction market ETFs amid broader rethink of novel fund structures
SEC chief Atkins signals caution on prediction market ETFs amid broader rethink of novel fund structures

Paul Atkins has asked staff to solicit public comment on novel ETFs, pausing the clock on as many as 24 filings linked to the booming event contracts market.

Private capital's $1 trillion bet on the American retirement account
Private capital's $1 trillion bet on the American retirement account

From 401(k)s to retail funds, Deloitte sees private equity and credit crossing into mainstream investing on two fronts at once.

Advisor moves: Wells Fargo Advisors pulls in $9.6b in fresh talent during first half of May
Advisor moves: Wells Fargo Advisors pulls in $9.6b in fresh talent during first half of May

Big-name defections from Morgan Stanley, UBS, and Merrill Lynch headline a busy two weeks of recruiting for the wirehouse.

SPONSORED Are hedge funds the missing ingredient?

Wellington explores how multi strategy hedge funds may enhance diversification

SPONSORED Beyond wealth management: Why the future of advice is becoming more human

As technical expertise becomes increasingly commoditized, advisors who can integrate strategy, relationships, and specialized expertise into a cohesive client experience will define the next era of wealth management