State regulators launch 'Operation Cryptosweep' to crack down on fraud

NASAA announces series of investigations, enforcement actions in U.S. and Canada targeting shady initial coin offerings and cryptocurrency products.
MAY 21, 2018

In a coordinated effort among its member regulators, the North American Securities Administrators Association has launched a series of enforcement actions by state and provincial securities officials in the United States and Canada to crack down on fraudulent initial coin offerings (ICOs), cryptocurrency-related investment products and those behind them. Dubbed "Operation Cryptosweep," the effort by NASAA members from more than 40 jurisdictions has resulted in nearly 70 inquiries and investigations and 35 pending or completed enforcement actions related to ICOs or cryptocurrencies since the beginning of May. The coordinated effort began in April. (More: Matt Hougan on exploring frontiers of cryptocurrency) NASAA said its members are conducting additional investigations into potentially fraudulent conduct that may result in more enforcement actions. These actions are on top of more than a dozen enforcement actions previously undertaken by NASAA members regarding these types of products. NASAA said a critical component of its effort is raising public awareness of the risks associated with ICOs and cryptocurrencies. "Not every ICO or cryptocurrency-related investment is fraudulent, but we urge investors to approach any initial coin offering or cryptocurrency-related investment product with extreme caution," said Joseph P. Borg, NASAA president and director of the Alabama Securities Commission. (More: Why cryptocurrency could be your worst tax nightmare) Among the state and provinces that have brought enforcement actions in the effort are Alabama, British Columbia, Colorado, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Nova Scotia, Quebec and Texas. In a statement, Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth William Galvin's Securities Division said it had settled with Blue Vase Holdings, which agreed to cease and desist selling unregistered securities, pay a fine and be censured, and offer rescission to investors.

Latest News

Fiduciary failure: Ex-advisor who sold practice fined after clients lost millions
Fiduciary failure: Ex-advisor who sold practice fined after clients lost millions

A former Alabama investment advisor and ex-Kestra rep has been permanently barred and penalized after clients he promised to protect got caught in a $2.6 million fraud.

Why the evolution of ETFs is changing the due diligence equation
Why the evolution of ETFs is changing the due diligence equation

As more active strategies get packaged into the ETF wrapper, advisors and investors have to look beyond expense ratios as the benchmark for value.

Most asset managers are using AI, but few let it call the shots
Most asset managers are using AI, but few let it call the shots

Survey finds AI widely embedded in research and analysis, but barely touching portfolio construction or trade execution.

LPL, Raymond James score fresh recruits in advisor recruiting battle
LPL, Raymond James score fresh recruits in advisor recruiting battle

Two firms land teams managing more than $1.1 billion in combined assets from Kestra and Edward Jones.

Edward Jones facing more race bias claims in new lawsuit
Edward Jones facing more race bias claims in new lawsuit

A private partnership, Edward Jones is a giant in the retail brokerage industry with more than 20,000 financial advisors.

SPONSORED Are hedge funds the missing ingredient?

Wellington explores how multi strategy hedge funds may enhance diversification

SPONSORED Beyond wealth management: Why the future of advice is becoming more human

As technical expertise becomes increasingly commoditized, advisors who can integrate strategy, relationships, and specialized expertise into a cohesive client experience will define the next era of wealth management