Wells Fargo gets 2015 regulatory order lifted

Wells Fargo gets 2015 regulatory order lifted
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency terminated an order related to add-on products, in another sign of progress for CEO Charlie Scharf's efforts to turn the bank around.
JAN 21, 2022

Wells Fargo & Co. got another regulatory order lifted, the latest sign of progress for Chief Executive Charlie Scharf’s quest to turn around the scandal-plagued bank. 

The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency terminated a 2015 order over add-on products that Wells Fargo improperly sold to customers, according to a statement Thursday. 

“Wells Fargo’s top priority is building a risk and control infrastructure appropriate for its size and complexity,” the San Francisco-based bank, which stopped selling the products in 2017, said in a separate statement. “The termination of the 2015 consent order is a step in this work, as the company continues to focus on resolving legacy regulatory issues.”

The order was put in place before the firm’s scandals erupted in 2016 with the revelation that employees opened millions of fake accounts to meet sales goals. Wells Fargo’s regulatory problems multiplied in subsequent years and nine public orders still remain in place, including a costly asset cap from the Federal Reserve. 

This is the second OCC action that has been terminated under Scharf, and a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau order expired last year. Still, the firm was handed a fresh sanction from the OCC in September and Scharf has repeatedly said that, while he believes the bank is making progress, there will continue to be “setbacks.”

Latest News

FINRA eyes fraud 'speed bump' rule doubling hold to 10 business days
FINRA eyes fraud 'speed bump' rule doubling hold to 10 business days

FINRA's proposed rule filing would create a new 10-day fraud delay and nearly triple the maximum hold period for exploited senior investors

MAI Capital pushes into Atlanta with Waypoint Wealth deal
MAI Capital pushes into Atlanta with Waypoint Wealth deal

Fueled by a recent shot in the arm from private equity firm Carlyle, MAI adds a $490 million Atlanta RIA as it keeps building out its national footprint.

Georgia advisor gets maximum – 20 years – for $400 million Ponzi
Georgia advisor gets maximum – 20 years – for $400 million Ponzi

“Todd Burkhalter organized what is likely the largest Ponzi scheme in Georgia history,” said one FBI official.

Carson taps Osaic recruiting veteran as independent channel expansion continues
Carson taps Osaic recruiting veteran as independent channel expansion continues

With experience from Goldman Sachs and TD Ameritrade, the RIA's newest SVP hire adds to a recent wave of executive departures from hybrid Osaic.

Mesirow acquires part of flexPATH in second retirement deal of 2026
Mesirow acquires part of flexPATH in second retirement deal of 2026

Chicago-based Mesirow Fiduciary Solutions adds flexPATH's plan-level outsourced fiduciary book, boosting its retirement market reach to $164 billion.

SPONSORED Direct indexing webinar targets tax-loss harvesting amid market swings

Northern Trust’s Ken Lassner shows advisors how to convert volatility into after-tax portfolio gains

SPONSORED Who builds the income when the pension disappears?

Dan Biagini of American Equity says the steady decline of pensions, longer lifespans and a reset in interest rates are rewriting how advisors build retirement income