Massachusetts securities regulator William Galvin sues SEC over small-company offerings

Massachusetts' top securities cop has filed a lawsuit to stop a recently adopted rule he claims curtails state oversight of stock offerings by small and emerging companies.
MAR 23, 2015
The top securities regulator in Massachusetts has filed a lawsuit against the Securities and Exchange Commission to stop a recently adopted rule he claims curtails state oversight of stock offerings by small and emerging companies. In his suit in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth William Galvin asserts that the SEC regulation is “arbitrary, capricious and otherwise not in accordance with” securities laws. Under the rule, offerings of up to $20 million would have to be filed with the state and the SEC. Those between $20 million and $50 million would require SEC registration only. State regulators strongly resisted the rule, arguing it pre-empted their oversight of a portion of the market they are best situated to oversee. The SEC declined to comment on Mr. Galvin's suit. The SEC rule was vague in its definition of the kind of investor who qualifies to purchase the small offerings, Mr. Galvin said in an interview. It did not place net worth or salary restrictions, which means that local businesses could target retail investors in the area. “It's essentially saying everyone is a qualified purchaser,” Mr. Galvin said. “That's where the states should definitely be involved.” The state of Montana also has filed a suit against the rule. In April, the SEC adopted a regulation, known as Regulation A+, that would ease registration requirements for start-up companies that are seeking to raise up to $50 million. PART OF JOBS ACT The rule implements a part of a law, known as the JOBS Act, that is designed to help entrepreneurs raise money for their ventures. But Mr. Galvin argues that Congress did not mean to block states from regulating the process. “Congress, when drafting the JOBS Act legislation, had considered but rejected preemption of state review of these offerings,” Mr. Galvin's office said in a news release. The North American Securities Administrators Association had been touting a coordinated review initiative for Regulation A+ that has been adopted by 46 states, including Massachusetts. The program established one-stop shopping for firms seeking an okay for their stock offerings in multiple states and guaranteed a 21-day review, as long as there were no deficiencies. The initiative was a way for states to maintain their jurisdiction over Regulation A offerings, which had been capped at $5 million before the new rule. “The program has been lauded for effectively streamlining the state review process that promotes efficiency by providing centralized filing, unified comments and a definitive timeline for review,” NASAA president and Washington securities director William Beatty said in a March 25 statement. Mr. Galvin said that NASAA had made its opposition to Regulation A+ well known to the SEC through comment letters. “I have to wonder whether this was a test pattern in terms of what they could get away with on preemption,” Mr. Galvin said.

Latest News

Clients expect to know if you use AI, but don’t realize that their portfolios are likely exposed
Clients expect to know if you use AI, but don’t realize that their portfolios are likely exposed

Janus Henderson Investors research reveals demand for transparency, but lack of awareness of AI’s prevalence in the corporate world.

Retirement dream looking more like a luxury as cost-of-living squeezes savings
Retirement dream looking more like a luxury as cost-of-living squeezes savings

New research reveals rising expenses, forced early exits, and a widening gap between how long people live and how long their money lasts.

Advisor moves: LPL, Raymond James, Brighton Jones raid the talent pool
Advisor moves: LPL, Raymond James, Brighton Jones raid the talent pool

Firms continue their quest to attract and retain the best advisor teams.

Most advisors say AI portfolio construction is worth $500 a month
Most advisors say AI portfolio construction is worth $500 a month

A survey from TacticalMind AI found 69% of advisors say a high-quality AI platform that makes investment recommendations and constructs portfolios is worth $500 monthly, while research-only tools are valued closer to $250.

CAIS embeds Claude AI into advisor workflows for alternatives intelligence
CAIS embeds Claude AI into advisor workflows for alternatives intelligence

The alts tech provider's latest integration lets advisors query fund data and surface portfolio insights without leaving their primary workspace.

SPONSORED Beyond wealth management: Why the future of advice is becoming more human

As technical expertise becomes increasingly commoditized, advisors who can integrate strategy, relationships, and specialized expertise into a cohesive client experience will define the next era of wealth management

SPONSORED Durability over scale: What actually defines a great advisory firm

Growth may get the headlines, but in my experience, longevity is earned through structure, culture, and discipline