Madoff Judge erred in SIPC ruling, court told

Customers defrauded by Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme deserve repayment of as much as $500,000 each, even if they took out more than they put into his investment business, a lawyer argued today to an appeals court.
OCT 22, 2010
Customers defrauded by Bernard Madoff’s Ponzi scheme deserve repayment of as much as $500,000 each, even if they took out more than they put into his investment business, a lawyer argued today to an appeals court. U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Burton Lifland erred when he ruled in March that the Securities Investor Protection Corp. doesn’t offer insurance to investors, and that Madoff customers can only collect from SIPC if they put in more cash than they took out from his business, attorney Helen Chaitman argued in a brief. Chaitman, who represents 700 investors, asked the U.S. Court of Appeals in New York to reverse Lifland and rule that SIPC trustee Irving Picard should review claims based on final account statements in December 2008 that included fake profit from the fraud. Those investors say they had no knowledge of the fraud at New York-based Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC. “Appellants are, typically, people in their 70s, 80s or 90s, whose assets, other than their homes, were invested in BLMIS” and face “serious medical issues,” Chaitman wrote in today’s filing. “They live in constant fear that the trustee will sue them for the amount they withdrew from BLMIS in excess of their investments.” Those investors are among more than 2,500 Madoff customers who couldn’t collect any SIPC money under Lifland’s ruling, which Picard sought. Picard, who is overseeing the liquidation of Madoff’s business, has allowed more than 2,100 claims to proceed. Stock Trades Madoff, 72, who pleaded guilty last year, is serving a 150- year sentence for running the largest Ponzi scheme in U.S. history. Prosecutors said that Madoff falsely told investors that they profited from stock trades that never took place. Picard, hired by SIPC to repay victims of the fraud, has said that using account statements to set claims would let Madoff decide who gets what, and include profit from trades that didn’t really happen. Parties arguing against Picard’s valuation method included Sterling Equities Inc., owner of the New York Mets baseball team, the firm’s chief executive officer, Jeff Wilpon, and Mets LP. Picard reported that Mets LP invested $522.7 million in two accounts with Madoff and withdrew $570.5 million in an unspecified period. Sterling Investors The Sterling investors filed claims with Picard for the amount their holdings would have been worth based on the last account statements sent by Madoff, which were dated Nov. 30, 2008, according to their brief filed today. Picard rejected the claims, on the ground that the Sterling entities had withdrawn more money than they gave Madoff. In her brief, Chaitman said that none of her clients “had any suspicion of BLMIS’ criminality.” She said that before the Madoff case, SIPC “has never taken the position that it insures only the net investment where a customer’s statement showed the ownership of real (as opposed to non-existent) securities.” Victims wanted their final account statements from Madoff’s firm to determine the size of their claims. They had argued to Lifland that SIPC was required to base claims on customers’ legitimate expectations. Lifland disagreed, ruling the account statements were “entirely fictitious.” “The only verifiable amounts that are manifest from the books and records are the cash deposits and withdrawals,” Lifland said. Customers’ legitimate expectations aren’t relevant if they apply to “absurd results,” he said. The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in December told Lifland it generally supported Picard’s “cash-in, cash- out” method. The commission said it would be more fair to victims if Picard adjusted the claims for inflation. The case is Securities Investor Protection Corp. v. Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC, 08-01789, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York (Manhattan).

Latest News

Edward Jones facing more race bias claims in new lawsuit
Edward Jones facing more race bias claims in new lawsuit

A private partnership, Edward Jones is a giant in the retail brokerage industry with more than 20,000 financial advisors.

Advisor moves: LPL recruitment momentum continues with $815M Northwestern Mutual team
Advisor moves: LPL recruitment momentum continues with $815M Northwestern Mutual team

Meanwhile, Raymond James and Tritonpoint Partners separately welcomed father-son teams, including a breakaway from UBS in Missouri.

SEC chief Atkins signals caution on prediction market ETFs amid broader rethink of novel fund structures
SEC chief Atkins signals caution on prediction market ETFs amid broader rethink of novel fund structures

Paul Atkins has asked staff to solicit public comment on novel ETFs, pausing the clock on as many as 24 filings linked to the booming event contracts market.

Private capital's $1 trillion bet on the American retirement account
Private capital's $1 trillion bet on the American retirement account

From 401(k)s to retail funds, Deloitte sees private equity and credit crossing into mainstream investing on two fronts at once.

Advisor moves: Wells Fargo Advisors pulls in $9.6b in fresh talent during first half of May
Advisor moves: Wells Fargo Advisors pulls in $9.6b in fresh talent during first half of May

Big-name defections from Morgan Stanley, UBS, and Merrill Lynch headline a busy two weeks of recruiting for the wirehouse.

SPONSORED Are hedge funds the missing ingredient?

Wellington explores how multi strategy hedge funds may enhance diversification

SPONSORED Beyond wealth management: Why the future of advice is becoming more human

As technical expertise becomes increasingly commoditized, advisors who can integrate strategy, relationships, and specialized expertise into a cohesive client experience will define the next era of wealth management