Retirement expert Pfau talks options for withdrawal

Depends on where client is - living modestly in early years or enjoy days to fullest

Oct 13, 2013 @ 12:01 am

By Liz Skinner

The approach that a financial adviser takes in constructing a retirement portfolio depends on whether the client is content living modestly in his or her early years of retirement or wants to enjoy those days to the fullest, potentially having to cut back in later years, a well-known retirement scholar said.

The probability-based school of thought would allow for a certain annual withdrawal rate to accommodate the client's lifestyle spending, Wade Pfau, professor of retirement income at The American College of Financial Services, said at the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors' national conference in Philadelphia last Wednesday.

The potential pitfall, however, is that the client could run out of money and then have to live off Social Security, he said.

Safety-first approach

The safety-first approach, on the other hand, would invest client funds according to whether they must be used for basic needs, emergencies, discretionary spending or legacy goals.

For example, 75% of a portfolio may be used to fund an annuity or a ladder of Treasury inflation-protected securities that pays an income that covers needs, leaving 25% of assets to be invested to cover the cost of life's enjoyable extras, Mr. Pfau said.

“This approach eliminates the upside, but it helps to eliminate the downside, too,” he said.

Advisers can decide the right approach for clients by asking them about their budget and seeing how they react to suggestions about cutting back on certain lifestyle costs, such as their country club membership, Mr. Pfau said.

They also should take an approach that allows for periodic changes, taking into account that some research suggests discretionary spending declines in the older years.

Of course, health care costs are the potential deal breaker with that theory, Mr. Pfau said.

0
Comments

What do you think?

View comments

Recommended for you

Sponsored financial news

Featured video

Events

The power of data

Your clients have financial news and data at their fingertips, but donít know how to interpret it. Katy Gibson of Envestnet|Yodlee and Blake Kannady of Envestnet discuss the power of leveraging aggregated data.

Recommended Video

Path to growth

Latest news & opinion

Lightyear Capital takes 50% stake in $9 billion HPM Partners

Private equity backing could fuel acquisitions by the large RIA.

Tax reform: 7 essential strategies for financial advisers

While advisers face the difficult task of analyzing the law's impact, they will also have a significant opportunity to prove their value by implementing money-saving strategies for clients as well as their own businesses.

Tax law: Everything advisers need to know about the pass-through provision

The provision is tricky, but could provide advisers and business-owner clients with sizable tax savings.

Bill requiring fiduciary disclosure reintroduced in New Jersey

Measures would obligate financial advisers to tell clients they do not have to act in their best interests.

Merrill Lynch to let advisers text with clients

Texting has been a popular mode of communication for years, but in the past the firm's regulations have prevented advisers from using it.

X

Hi! Glad you're here and we hope you like all the great work we do here at InvestmentNews. But what we do is expensive and is funded in part by our sponsors. So won't you show our sponsors a little love by whitelisting investmentnews.com? It'll help us continue to serve you.

Yes, show me how to whitelist investmentnews.com

Ad blocker detected. Please whitelist us or give premium a try.

X

Subscribe and Save 60%

Premium Access
Print + Digital

Learn more
Subscribe to Print